words for sale

When I tell people what I do for a living, the first thing they usually ask is "What do you write about?" My answer? "Everything!" My main jobs are writing about real estate and investing, and editing an entertainment magazine, so they couldn't be more different! But I also freelance for a bunch of other clients, writing relationship features for Cosmo and Cleo, riffing about car refinishing and paint for Dupont's magazine, creating corporate copy for my business clients... the list goes on.

And that's what I love about my job. It changes all the time, and I never know week to week what I'll be working on next. I love the variety and the fact that one unexpected phone call or email can throw up a new challenge and boost my bank balance.

It's not for everyone, though. As a freelance writer, there are parts of my job that are really boring or tedious, like chasing up invoices or following up leads. My friend Iain, who edits a HR magazine, reckons it's not for him. But he wrote an article about my job anyway! Thanks, Iain, for making my career sound way more exciting than it really is :) You have a way with words!

0 comments: