struggle-town

I try to keep an open mind and appreciate that everyone has their own opinion. 

I understand, for instance, that some people are uncomfortable with homosexuality. I don't understand why they feel this way, because in my view there is nothing "wrong" with it - loads of my friends are gay, including some of my besties, and it's just not an issue.  

But others have their reasons for not getting on board, often to do with their background, upbringing and/or religious beliefs, and I get that. Each to their own.

What I struggle with is ignorance. And ignorant-sounding people - like Wendy Francis, the Queensland Family First politician, who spat these statements into the Twitterverse over the weekend:

The rigid conviction and certainty that she has in stating that "legitimising gay marriage" is akin to "legalising child abuse" just... boggles the mind. (You can read the rest of her musings here.) It's uneducated, and ridiculous, and kind of makes me want to pull my hair out with frustration.

But instead, I'll take a deep breath and try to remember that everyone has their own opinion, and we don't all have to see eye to eye... and I'll distract myself with this cute website.

I can't wait for this election to be over!

0 comments: