a new way to think about creativity

This evening on my web travels, I happened across this fantastic video from the recent TED conference. It's a speech given by Eat, Pray, Love author Elizabeth Gilbert, and it's so insightful and thoughtful and completely spot on!

It's 19 minutes long, which seems like a lengthy investment of time in today's bite-sized information age, but I reckon it's worth investing in.


(Side note - I read this frighteningly accurate comment online today from Nicholas Carr @ The Atlantic, who was describing the impact the internet is having on his diminishing attention capacity: "Once I was a scuba diver in the sea of words. Now I zip along the surface like a guy on a Jet Ski." I relate to this comment, and his entire article, actually, much more than I wish I did...)

Whether you work in a creative industry or not, Elizabeth Gilbert's suggestions and insights regarding how she manages the creative process - and how she takes the burden off herself to get it right all the time, every time - is so simple and logical. I'm bookmarking this video to re-watch with a cup of English Breakfast every time I fall into a motivational ditch.

0 comments: